After the great economic depression of 1929 and the stagflation of 1970’s economic/oil embargo, the United States of America has suffered from a third economic halt in the end of year 2007. The world’s greatest economic power was most likely to bear the brunt of a steep decline in commerce and industry followed by scarcity in employment, inflation, security risks etc. Stock markets crumbled, banks dissolved, millions of people lost their jobs, and everyone was stunned by the situation.
Highly effected industry was obviously an employment sector, which was already bearing security lapse concerns after 9/11 dilemma. Recession created the worst scenario for the companies as they have started firing employees instead of hiring.
Many firms locked their doors for job candidates and bonded their hiring systems with extraordinary pre employment background checks to curb all the chances of financial as well as security risks.
Following 9/11 and a rash of corporate scandals at companies such as Enron, Tyco and WorldCom, background checks have become standard procedure for many companies to prevent a variety of problems ranging from embezzlement and theft of merchandize to workplace violence. Moreover, state courts have ruled that companies can be held liable for negligent hiring if they fail to do adequate background checks.
Being part of the background screening company, I have seen changing trends in vetting processes and pre employment background checks. H.R departments are using different systems to scan their employee before hiring, they usually perform social or cyber profiling of a prospective candidate to lower the cost but since the crises has risen up, cyber profiling is not considered as a good contributor in-spite of proper pre employment back ground checks.
Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, LinkedIn, and many other services which allows people to communicate with others, while recording information a potential employer can use to assess character, cultural fit and other attitudes and characteristics
What can be judged from cyber/ social profiling pre employment background checks?
- The candidate involved in off-work activities which might cause embarrassment for the organization.
- The candidate’s views on one or more topics indicate he or she would not be a good “cultural” fit for the organization.
- The candidate’s participation in activist or political action groups might pose a threat because the business is involved in activities which conflict with the agendas of those groups.
Drawbacks of Cyber Vetting or Social Profiling:
- Cyber profiling or social media interaction employment background checks are limited to the online guise of a person.
- Education verification is merely impossible as we cannot be able to assess the original documents like degrees, diplomas, certifications and licenses.
- Past employment dates can be seen on their social profiles but we cannot assess about the employees performance records at their past employee.
- Employers cannot be able to do a reference check of an employment candidate.
- More significantly, an employer can never be able to judge a job candidate for his criminal past; ie. Criminal background checks are merely impossible through cyber vetting.
- Financial or credit checks cannot be performed on an employee as a precaution to a financial loss risk.
From the above points we can easily draw an idea that cyber profiling has its limitation, it can only help an employer by judging a candidate about his behavior.
In comparison to cyber profiling, background screening companies for proper employment background checks is much better to choice for employers. As they are quick, they have the power and resources to vet an employee from his head to toe.
Advantages of Hiring a Background Screening Company:
- Pre employment background checks assess what risks each job posses. While a baseline criminal check may be suitable for every hire. Proper employee background checks who handle cash may need both their credit and criminal records verified through proper investigation of court records, credit reports and civil litigation records.
- Document verifications can be performed for employment background checks for employee’s educational degrees, certifications and licenses by primary source verification process. This can zero the chances of any employee induction that have forged of fake documents.
- Past employment records can be checked through resource sharing process which can identify any discrepancy attached with a candidate, empowering an employer to screen out a plague before induction.
- Reference checks is also an important tool used by background screening company, as they contact to the references provided by job candidate for the validation and for counter check they make calls whether the reference is true or a bogus one.
- Pre-employment screening services also offer some additional criminal searches including a sex offender registry search and a global terrorist search, which is essential in the current world scenario for your business peace and security.
- Address history or Social Security number trace, It confirms that the number belongs to the applicant and it provides a list of current and previous addresses, as well as other names used.
It can be concluded easily that after such a huge recession and 9/11 security concern, every single firm or business has to think over hiring in a smarter way to prevent not only financial losses but to prevent future of their business prosperity in critical times.
Background screening companies are much better in background checks than adopting cyber vetting processes and they can save time and precious amount of money.
Trying to understand a person’s character by looking at his or her online persona is not enough at all for making a hiring decision. So, the better choice for your pre employment checks is to hire a strong, reputable background screening company by seeing their profile of services, their experience in employment checks and by looking over the testimonials they have got during their work. “Happy Secure Hiring”.