Travel Insurance Made Easy

Travelling abroad needn’t fill you with worry, but it’s important to be covered just in case the worst does come along. Flight cancellation and loss of baggage or passport are some of the more trivial things that could happen while your away, but you could also find yourself in a very sticky financial situation should you or one of your group become ill or suffer an accident. Outside the EU, medical expenses won’t be covered, while even inside the EU you may need to pay for transport home or private treatment. Taking out the correct travel insurance policy can cover you against all of these misdemeanours, and give you peace of mind while you’re away. If you’re looking for the best travel insurance deal for this summer, then take a read of this article for some tips for finding the best policy.

The Type of Policy

There are quite a few fundamentally different insurance policies available. There’s single or multi trip, then specific packages such as backpacker insurance and sports insurance for holidays such as skiing. It shouldn’t be too hard to think of what you need if you’re going on a foreign beach holiday within the EU – probably single trip cover – but if you’re considering more than one trip during a twelve month period, you should probably go for multi trip. The family deals on these packages can make them cheaper in the long term. Outside the EU is likely to drive your quote higher. You should remember that due to their expensive private healthcare system, you will probably need to pay more if you’re travelling to the USA, and substantially more if you’re going on a sporting or skiing trip due to the related risks.

Get an EHIC card

The free European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) entitles you to free or discounted medical treatment in state run hospitals in the European Union and Switzerland. If you’re travelling in Europe, it’s important you get one, as it means you’ll be treated like a citizen to the country that you’re visiting. However, don’t be fooled into thinking this alone is an adequate substitute for travel insurance. For a start, it’s only valid in the EU and Switzerland. Then you’ve got to remember that you will only have access to state run hospitals with an EHIC, which may be more limited and few and far between in some countries. Also, an EHIC won’t cover you for anything other than medical expenses – so remember you’ll still need cover for baggage loss and flight cancellation, and it won’t cover you if you go further afield.

Get the Right Level for You

Have you had a policy suggested to you by your holiday booker? If you have then consider if it’s at the right level for you, and the right price; it’s possible to be oversold in insurance package and you could end up with too much cover. For instance, does anyone need £100,000,000 worth of medical cover? The answer is almost certainly not, so there’s no need to go for a quote with this if it’s more expensive than a policy with, say, £2,000,000. Furthermore, unless you’re carrying the crown jewels across the world it’s unlikely you’re going to need much more than £1,000 worth of baggage cover. As the rule of thumb, just try to think objectively of the extent of cover you’ll need – it’s probably never going to run into the millions so don’t pay for it!

For great deals on cheap travel insurance including annual travel insurance visit AA Travel Insurance and ensure that you are covered for medical expenses up to £10,000,000.

Source by Derek Lakes

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *